Alan I. Dunst joined the Law Firm of Cohen, Hoagland and Keefe in 1973, one of the predecessor firms to Hoagland, Longo, Moran, Dunst & Doukas, LLP, where he has spent his entire 40 plus-year legal career as a Partner and member of its Executive Committee. Throughout his career, he has represented clients in the defense of civil litigation including numerous insurance companies, self-insureds, and trucking companies and has defended cases involving products liability, legal and medical malpractice and all types of general liability claims as well as environmental and asbestos matters. He has tried hundreds of cases in both the federal and state courts, and was one of the first group of trial lawyers to be Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney. Due to his vast trial experience, Alan has qualified as an Advocate of the American Board of Trial Advocates and has served as a member of its National Board of Directors since 1996. Alan also specializes in all forms of Alternate Dispute Resolution and serves as both a mediator and arbitrator in resolving these types of disputes.
Alan has served as Past President of the Middlesex County Trial Lawyers Association and the Joseph Halpern Inn of Court. He was named Professional Lawyer of the Year in 2004 by the New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law and The Middlesex County Bar Association. He received the Honorable Herman L. Breitkopf Trial Lawyer of the Year Award in 2006 from the Trial Lawyers Association of Middlesex County and the John B. La Vecchia Award in 2010 from the Northern New Jersey Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates. In 2013 he received the Trial Bar Award from the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey and in 2015 he was honored with the James J. McLaughlin Award from the New Jersey State Bar Association Civil Trial Section.
- Member, Middlesex County Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Board of Directors, 1996-Present
- Member, Middlesex County Trial Lawyers Association (President 1982-1983)
- Member, Ethics Committee 1982-1985
- President, Joseph Halpern Inn of Court 1991-1993
- Member, Trial Attorneys of New Jersey
- Member, Middlesex County Assignment Judges Civil Lawyers' Committee
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney
- Rated AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- James J. McLaughlin Award, New Jersey State Bar Association, Civil Trial Section, 2015
- Trial Bar Award, Trial Attorneys of New Jersey, 2013
- John B. LaVecchia Award, Northern New Jersey Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates, 2010
- New Jersey Super Lawyers list, 2005-2013 and 2015-Present
- The Best Lawyers in America list for Arbitration, 2008-2021; "Lawyer of the Year" in Insurance Law, 2014
- Professional Lawyer of the Year, NJ Commission on Professionalism in the Law and The Middlesex County Bar Association, 2004
- Honorable Herman L. Breitkopf Trial Lawyer of The Year Award, Trial Lawyers Association of Middlesex County, 2006
A description of the selection process methodologies on which these accolades are based can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.