Susan O'Connor is a partner in the firm and leads the firm's Employment and Municipal Litigation departments, representing employers and municipalities, as well as individual officers, directors and elected officials before state and federal trial/appellate courts and agencies. In addition to representing municipalities and employers in matters involving Title VII claims, the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, Americans with Disabilities Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act and whistle blower claims, Susan also provides training designed to assist clients in conforming their workplace practices to federal and state laws, drafts or modifies existing personnel policies, and performs comprehensive investigations of employee misconduct claims. She also successfully litigates claims made against municipal entities and employees for Constitutional violations, including excessive use of force, false arrest, failure to provide medical attention, inadequate police protection, and failure to hire or promote based upon political affiliation. She has also defended potential class action litigations. She regularly consults municipal clients and their insurers on municipal liability.
A reflection of her professional achievements, Susan was selected by peer review for inclusion in the 2023 and 2024 editions of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, from 2011 - 2016, Susan was named to the list of the Irish Legal 100 and received the award at a reception with the Irish Ambassador to the United States. The Irish Legal 100 is comprised of some of the most accomplished and distinguished lawyers of Irish descent in the United States. In 2011, Susan was named Democratic Woman of the Year by the Hunterdon County Democratic Committee, in appreciation of her dedicated service to the Democratic party. In 2008, Susan was named one of New Jersey’s Best 50 Women in Business. The award program, run by NJBIZ, New Jersey’s premier business news publication, honors New Jersey’s most dynamic women in business who have been making headlines in their fields. Susan was selected based on dedication to business growth, professional and personal accomplishments, community involvement, and advocacy for women. In 2007, the Litigation Counsel of America (LCA), an elite organization comprising less than 1/2 of one percent of American attorneys, inducted Susan into its honorary society. By invitation only, membership in LCA is highly selective, its leadership citing "superior ethical reputation" and "effectiveness and accomplishment in litigation, both at the trial and appellate levels" as critical to consideration for membership.
- Supreme Court of New Jersey, District VIII Fee Committee, Panel Chair
- Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
- Federal Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Hunterdon County Bar Association
- New Brunswick Bar Association
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association, Co-Chief Diversity Officer (2020-2021)
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association, Co-General Counsel (2011-2020)
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association, Trustee-at-Large (2008-2011)
- New Jersey Democratic State Committee representing Hunterdon County, former Delegate
- Voorhees High School Mock Trial Team, Attorney Coach (2015-2020)
- Supreme Court of New Jersey, District VIII Ethics Committee, former member and chair for an unprecedented two terms (1999-2000; 2000-2001)
- Hampton, NJ, former councilwoman and council president
- North Hunterdon Municipal Court Committee, former member
- Former State mediator, Complementary Dispute Resolution matters
- HBCEF, former trustee
- New Brunswick Bar Association, President (1997-1998)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2023 and 2024)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers (2005-2013; 2015-Present)
- Irish Legal 100 (2011-2016)
- Hunterdon County Democratic Woman of the Year (2011)
- NJBIZ, "Best 50 Women in Business" list (2008)
- Rated AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
A description of the selection process methodologies on which these accolades are based can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Super Lawyers® is published by Thomson Reuters. Best Lawyers in America® is published by Best Lawyers in partnership with U.S. News & World Report. Martindale-Hubbell® is published by Internet Brands, Inc. A description of their selection process can be found in the respective links above. The aforementioned organizations are private peer review organizations, not court-specific, public certification vehicles. No aspect of this advertisement has been submitted to or approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.