Marc S. Gaffrey and Michael T. Kearns to Host Personal Injury Claims Involving Utilities: Electrocution, Low-Hanging Wires, Motor Vehicle Collisions CLE
Each year thousands of personal injury, wrongful death, and property damage claims are brought against utilities as individual lawsuits or class actions. Many incidents occur at construction sites or power plant sites. In addition to negligence, counsel may not be aware of other unique areas of liability.
On January 19th at 1pm, Marc S. Gaffrey and Michael T. Kearns, Partners at Hoagland Longo Moran Dunst & Doukas, will guide counsel on litigating accidents and injuries caused by utilities, whether from motor vehicle accidents or gross negligence in maintaining equipment. Marc Gaffrey will discuss specific accidents such as toxic torts and premises liability claims. The program will also cover special issues that may arise in bringing or defending these claims against utilities.
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What is unique about suing or defending utilities?
- Do utilities enjoy special defenses or immunities, and how can defense counsel use them effectively?
- What special discovery problems must be overcome by the plaintiff?
- Do contributory negligence defenses apply?
- What are the standards for maintenance and repair for different types of utilities?
- How has the PG&E guilty plea in California impacted how utilities defend themselves?
For more information and to register, click here.